Monday, September 24, 2012

Off With The Braces!

After putting up with braces for a year, Hayden was more than happy to get them off. He'd been making a list of things he'd be able to eat for months!

He didn't even fuss when they took the pliers and yanked off the brackets. I think I would have.

There was quite the post-braces process. X-rays, polishing off the adhesive, and fitting the retainers. When his mouth wasn't being worked on, he asked for pictures so he could look at it later.

He'd been given a catalog of choices for retainer designs. He thought about the watermelon, the soccer ball, neon green...and finally settled on star spangled. He's a 4th of July baby, through and through.

I though he'd be sore after, but he was hungry. I let him pick since I wouldn't be too keen on chewing after having my teeth manhandled. What did he go for?

Buffalo Wild Wings. He's been stuck with boneless wings for a year and he wanted something he could bite. Okay, kiddo.

Then we hit the store for his dinner request - corn on the cob. While there he asked for taffy, something he's really missed. He wasn't sure about buying an assorted bag because "there is liquorice flavor in there and no one likes that." I suggested he chose the flavors he liked from the bulk bin and then made the mistake of picking up some chewing bones for the dogs.

When I got back to Hayden, he had a lunchsack packed with bulk candy. Strawberry hard candies, taffy, gummi worms and gummi bears. I couldn't even tell him to dump it because the gummies aren't wrapped! Fifteen dollars of candy later, I learned my lesson with this sugar fiend!

He was so looking forward to corn on the cob, but biting into it wasn't all he'd hoped for. He was bummed that I had to still cut it off the cob, but I promised we'd try again soon, on a day his teeth hadn't been abused!

No comments: