Sunday, September 02, 2012

L'il Pickers

I have the best of intentions when it comes to childhood experiences. There are a million fun things I want the kids to be able to look back on. One of those I routinely seem to miss is apple picking.

Growing up, my grandparents had a ranch with a giant garden, enormous apple and pear trees that were as old as Oregon itself, and fields lined with blackberry bushes. Needless to say, we had fresh produce all summer without ever hitting the grocery store. I still have a hard time paying for pears or blackberries. Or zucchini. Even though I can't make a zucchini plant grow in this yard.

The kids got their chance to play harvester today. A transformer blew in a mighty explosion, so we decided since there was no power at the house, we might as well take the dogs on a walk and find out exactly where the trouble was. The power company had the bucket trucks out by the time we found the blown transformer, so we trudged home without any dangerous fireworks show.

As we were looking up at a neighbor's apple tree, they drove by and offered for us to pick as many as we'd like. They said to go ahead to try the pears too. We were so excited we rushed home for a bucket. Bayley opted to stay inside since the power had been restored...and he was still wearing his bathrobe. He refuses to take it off before one. Ahem.

We made quick work of the fruit on the lower branches, and then Jeff & Hayden tried their hand with the picker. Hayden had such fun with it. I really enjoyed plucking the pears. Gave me a great nostalgic feeling.

No comments: