Thursday, September 08, 2005

Lions, Frogs and Fish

Pre-school starts next week. I didn't prepare for it, no school clothes or supply list. But I did figure Bayley would need a backpack. Partly because there are pegs by the door. But mainly because he is such a picky eater.

They have snack time at school, and no peanut products are allowed. Peanut butter is Bayley's major food group. He's even picky about his junk food. No cookies without chocolate chips, that sort of thing. I think I'll sneak a snack into his backpack so he can grab it if he doesn't like the treat of the day.

The parents rotate who brings the snack. I'm torn about what to bring in. Should I go healthy and go with popcorn or fruit, or should I try and make Bayley the cool kid and bring Hostess, or should I have Bayley make something each time it's our turn? He's no help. He wants to bring croutons. Maybe the teachers will have insight.

So on Monday I'll send him into the world, with a backpack full of croutons. Finding a backpack was a hassle. Bayley wanted one with a lion on it. Couldn't find one, so a neighbor suggested iron on patches. Brilliant. Bayley picked out a lion and a fish. We went to Target today for a plain backpack, but he didn't like any of those. Great.

I spied some kids backpacks on a clearance endcap and knew the frog one would be perfect. Blue, he loves frogs and dragonflies which are apliqued on. Right next to it is one with flowers and ladybugs. Bayley loves bugs so wants that one. I want to stay married, so I talked him into the frogs. Was that wrong?

No matter. The lion and fish iron ons match the color scheme of the frog pack. All is good in the hood.

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Christina couldn't leave a comment. Can I?

Anonymous said...

I say you bring in the croutons - that way every kid can have the same thing that Bayley has.

Maybe he will finally see that other kids eat real food and try to eat something healthy (doubtful as he will probably be 25 and still eating croutons)

BC - Bayley Crouton

-Gabe

Anonymous said...

This is the thing - once they're all sitting around the little table in their little tiny kid chairs, he will see that the other kids all eat what they're given... and so will he.
Eddie isn't picky, and lucky for us, he won't eat junk (unless its covered in chocolate). His nursery has a big dining hall, and they actually let the kids make their snacks at least once a week - he loves it.
Good luck with next week... oh, and for quick mostly healthy treats, you can do these amazing rice crispy treats they make at Ed's nursery - I'll email you the destructions for 'em if you like.

Anonymous said...

I agree with Chris - Uncles have the best ideas, because we are so far away - I am not on the other side of the world, but I am on the other side of the country and I think that you should bring a bag of sugar and let them all grab a handfull - if that doesn't work then you can also get sugar canes and after they have their sugar fix they can hit eachother with them. Damn I am good with these ideas.